Monday 24 October 2016

OCD - beyond the 'cleanliness' obsession.

1.2% of the population (12 in 1000) suffer with OCD. It is regarded one of the most disabling illnesses of any kind with over 750,000 people in the UK alone suffering with it. However, many people are often quick to confuse OCD as a disorder that requires people to be obsessed with cleaning or cleanliness. Of course, this is through no fault of their own but the fault of the media and lack of actual information about the illness itself. You only have to type OCD into Google and instantly you are greeted with a clip art picture of a pair of hands having a good 'arl soak in the sink. You hear everyday people telling others that they're "so OCD about their room being clean." But OCD is called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder NOT Obsessive Cleanliness Disorder. OCD is exactly what it says on the tin. Obsessive and Compulsive. Many people fail to realise that it is so broad it is split into four different categories: 
  • Checking
  • Contamination / Mental Contamination
  • Hoarding
  • Ruminations / Intrusive Thoughts
OCD sufferers can fall into more than one of the four categories but it is NOT definite they will be obsessive over cleanliness. In fact, only a small percentage of sufferers actually suffer with obsessions with being clean. OCD goes above and beyond the misconception that sufferers need to be clean. It is much more. 
As a sufferer myself, I do like organisation. I like things to be clean BUT I am in no way obsessed with it, it is nothing out of the ordinary. Yes, I like my hotel rooms to be clean when I'm away (don't we all), and yes I do like to eat in places that have a 5 star food hygiene rating (3 stars make me queasy). But,  I don't feel the need to wash my hands every 5 minutes. I don't go to pieces if I see a fly in a place I may be eating and a stain on the carpet in a hotel won't make me lose sleep. I think that this may be due to the fact I've waitressed before, I work part time as a cleaner and I work with children a lot so I have come to accept these things for what they are. You can't 100% avoid germs or contamination. 
However, I do like structure. I am obsessed with things going the way I see them in my head. If I wake up in the morning with a routine of what I'm going to be doing that day and it doesn't go the way I planned, I can't cope. If I have planned to go somewhere to eat, I have usually planned what it is I'm going to eat there, so then if this doesn't happen my head falls off. I'm also quite obsessive over time. I can't judge it. So I leave far too early to avoid being late. If I am late, it sets me into panic mode. I also used to fall into the checking and hoarding category. I'd obsessively check the lights to make sure they were DEFINITELY off. Even though it's a light and you can CLEARLY SEE it's off. I'm not as bad anymore, but plugs that are switched on when they're not in use do make me nervous and I don't feel the need to keep my birthday cards under my bed for years to come 'just in case' I might need them. 
This is my condition sugar coated. It used to be a lot, lot worse than this and I have actually avoided doing things because of my OCD. Going on holiday is a big thing for me. Not because of cleanliness but because of the structure (or lack of). Last year I went on a girls holiday and it was probably the most stressful week of my life with regards to my OCD. I used to go home early from nights out because I would become obsessed with the thought of something bad happening while I was out. My OCD played a big part in that week (paired up with my anxiety) and I was probably an absolute nightmare to be on holiday with and I couldn't wait to get home because I was that obsessed with the thought of something going wrong while I was there. At the time though, you don't realise you're acting this way because of your OCD. You just know you need to act like that and then everything will be okay.
The whole point of this post is not to make you feel sorry me, but to give you a bit of an insight about what life is like for a person who has OCD. Not once on my holiday did I feel the need to have a shower every hour and wash my hands 300 times a day. I didn't (and don't) refuse to eat out just in case I get sick. I CAN use public toilets and put the fact that 70,000 bums have sat on the very seat. I have OCD but I am NOT obsessed with cleanliness. This doesn't mean I don't have it at all.
I'm not saying that OCD regarding cleanliness isn't a thing. It 100% is and it's very serious. I've saw on television programmes people have swallowed bleach before through the fear of their insides being contaminated. However, what I am saying is that not everybody who has OCD is is obsessive over being clean. So, next time you feel the need to tell someone you're 'OCD' just bare in mind that OCD (along with other mental illnesses) is NOT an adjective. Think before you speak. Its a very serious thing to joke about. And, of course, if somebody does tell you they have OCD always ensure they're aware that you're there should they need you to be. A smile and a listening ear can do somebody the world of good.
Bye for now.
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment